Tuesday, February 15, 2011

shopping neurosis

After finding out that Whole Foods, Organic Valley, Stoneyfield Farms and Cascadian Farms are in league with the devil Monsanto; my husband is afraid that we are going to starve.  Seriously, I buy my veggies from an organic farm and buy local organic milk, but I need other necessities like flour and butter and raisins and so on. 

I have known for a long time about the organic industrial food complex and tried to ignore what I could on the basis that I was eating as best as I could (and paying for it, to boot).  But now?  Now?  I cannot unlearn what I know and it gives me a panic attack every time I try to buy food. 

James finally did the shopping this week.  He knows my super hot spots and obliged me those things.  He even bought dried beans and cooked them in our pressure cooker.  If you don't have one of those things, get one.  It's amazeballs.  He cooked dry, unsoaked kidney beans in an hour and twenty minutes!!!  So we're working on it.  And although my restrictions drive him crazy, he tells me all of the time that one of his favorite things about me is that I have ideals and standards and stick to them.  He knows it's really hard for me and he understands that my reasons are valid....  And now he's doing the shopping!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment